General Info



Art & Culture

Things to Do


Safety & Health

Map Center

Useful Links

  Search EcuadorToursOnLineEcuador Tours Ecuador PicturesEcuador-Pictures About  Ecuador-Travel-GuideAbout Us Contact UsContact Us
Money Matter
What Things Cost in Ecuador
Travelling in Ecuador
Packing List


General Information
Non-Immigrant Visas
Visas for Non-Working Stays Up to 90 Days (Visa 12-X)
Visas for Stays of More Than 90 Days
Student Visa
Professional, Technical, Consultant, or Official Government Visas
Religious and Volunteer Visas
Cultural Exchange Visas
Tourism, Business,and Other Activities Visas
Resident / Immigrant Visas
Overstayed your visa?
There are two general categories of visas, resident (sometimes knows as immigrant) and non-resident. Within each of these broad categories are several types of specific visas. Please look below for the type of visa that suits your individual needs. This information was adapted from the Ecuadorian Embassy and General Consulate webpages. The information is subject to change and should be verified with the Ecuadorian Consulate in your home country.

* Impotant Note:
Although this information is from the emassy of Ecuador in Washington D.C., it's a good idea to find a second source. We reccomend even calling the embassy or emailing them to get the most updated information you can.

Non-Immigrant Visas
Citizens of most countries do not require a visa to enter Ecuador for up to 90 days, with some notable exceptions including France. This "automatic" tourist visa is knows as the 12-X. If you plan on staying longer that 90 days, working or immigrating to Ecuador you will need one of the other types of visas outlined below.

Visas for Non-Working Stays Up to 90 Days (Visa 12-X)
Ecuador welcomes tourists and travelers from every country. Citizens of the United States, Canada and most European countries traveling to Ecuador for tourism, business or to study do not require a visa unless they expect to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days in one calendar year (that is, 90 days adding every entry in one year) or if they are drawing income from an Ecuadorian source.

Specific Requirements:

  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Proof of economic means to support yourself during your stay in Ecuador (may be requested by Immigration authorities upon arrival).

Nationals of the following countries require a visa to enter Ecuador for any reason and should approach the Consulate of Ecuador in their home country before traveling (list may change without notice): Algeria, Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Lybia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine Authority, Panama, People's Republic of China, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tunisia, and Vietnam.

Foreigners traveling on a 12-X visa may not take employment in Ecuador. Visa 12-X status cannot be changed in Ecuador.

Visas for Stays of More Than 90 Days
Foreign nationals planning to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days need to apply for a visa and must present the following documents:

  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Police certificate with criminal record of the State where s/he resides.
  • Medical certificate.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Two photographs
  • Application form
  • Nationals of other countries applying for this type of visa in the United States must also present a valid US visa/green card.

Additionally, depending on the type of visa needed, additional requirements listed under the following visa types may apply:

Student Visa
Specific Requirements:

  • Certificate of course registration in an educational institution in Ecuador.
  • Certificate of financial solvency (either a bank deposit of a reasonable amount to cover expenses with a letter stating the intention of the bank of forwarding to the student 10% of that amount per month; OR a document signed by a relative stating that the student is supported by his/her family; OR a legal and duly notarized document indicating the student receives some other type of financial support).

Validity: Up to one year; renewable.
Fee: $50 USD. Citizens from the Spain, Colombia, and Paraguay are exempt from the fee.

Professional, Technical, Consultant, or Official Government Visas
Specific Requirements:

  • Documents showing he/she is required to stay in Ecuador for work related purposes and that his/her stay will be supported by the company/agency/government.
  • Labor contract legalized by an Ecuadorian Labor Court.
  • Technical or specialized professionals or industrial training personnel need a working permit from the Ministry of Labor.
  • Managers, legal representatives, or executive officers, with also require a certificate from the Superintendency of Companies.

Validity: According to the appointment.
Fee: $50 USD.

Religious and Volunteer Visas
Specific Requirements:

  • Certificate of the religious organization where the applicant will work in Ecuador, explaining why a foreign person is required, and a brief description of the tasks he/she will be assigned in Ecuador.
  • A copy of the Decree in which the Government of Ecuador authorizes the organization to work in the country.
  • A copy of the rules of the organization.
  • A copy of the document stating the appointment of the legal representative of the organization in Ecuador.

Validity: Two years.
Fee: None.

Cultural Exchange Visas
Teachers or students participating in exchange programs require:

  • Application from the Ecuadorian authority sponsoring the student/teachers visit.
  • A copy of the Agreement under which the program is carried out.
  • Teachers must sign a document stating that he/she will not receive any Ecuadorian funds for his/her work.

Validity: One year.
Fee: None.

Tourism, Business, and Other Activities Requireing a Stay of More Than 90 Days and Up to 180 Days
Foreigners who need or want to stay in Ecuador for over 90 days, for activities such as tourism, sports, studies, science and research, art, or business, require:

  • Certificate of financial solvency to the satisfaction of the Consular Officer (either a bank letter stating the applicant's monthly balance OR a personal guaranty of an Ecuadorian citizen or a foreigner residing in Ecuador in a duly notarized document OR a certificate stating the applicant's income OR any other document that proves the applicant has enough funds for his stay in Ecuador).

Validity: 90 to 180 days.
Fee: $50 USD. Citizens from the Spain, Colombia, Denmark, and Paraguay are exemp from the fee.

Resident/Immigrant Visas
Foreign nationals may apply to settle in Ecuador and obtain resident status. Resident visas are approved by the Immigration Board in Ecuador. The documentation process takes at least 4 to 8 weeks.

There are a number of different resident visa categories, including:

  • 10­I Retired persons who receive pensions from their native countries (pension from a stable source, at least $8,000 USD per year).
  • 10­II Real estate and securities investors who are willing to invest in Ecuador the equivalent of at least 350 minimum monthly general salaries (S.M.V.G.), plus 100 SMVG per dependant, or amount specified by Consular Officer (in the U.S. at least $15,000 USD).
  • 10­III Investors in industry who wish to export agricultural products, livestock, or minerals, provided they bring capital the equivalent of at least 600 minimum monthly general salaries to Ecuador, or amount specified by Consular Officer (in the U.S. at least $25,000 USD).
  • 10­IV Companies with foreign local agents who possess unlimited power of attorney to represent the company in Ecuador, provided that 80% of the company's local personnel are Ecuadorian.
  • 10­IV Technicians or technical experts under contract with a company established in Ecuador.
  • 10­V Professionals with university degrees recognized by a national university, who wish to practice their profession in Ecuador. Should the applicant's profession not exist in Ecuador, the degree must be locally certified. The applicant must also fulfill the requirements for such practice (e.g. bar).
  • 10­VI Individuals economically dependent on spouses or on a blood­related family member (family).

Overstayedyour visa?
If you overstay your tourist visa you must obtain a stamp on your passport before you may leave. These are referred to as "Salidas", and are obtained in Quito at the immigration office on Isla Seymour 1152, between Río Coca and Tomás de Berlanga, and in Guayaquil at the immigration office on Avenida Pichincha and Aguirre.

© 2001-2004 Ecuador-Travel-Guide.org. All rights reserved.
This site is a contribution of EcuadorToursOnLine.com